Saturday 22 April 2017

Gongs from the Ministry of Defence

A couple of years ago I discovered my Scottish grandfather's old leather passport in a clear out and it subsequently led to me writing a letter to the Ministry of Defence requesting if my grandfather had any military service. It transpires not only did my grandfather serve in WW2 but he had never got round to applying for his service medals during his lifetime which meant that as i was his next of kin the MoD were obliged to send me  his service medals & service records. This came as quite a surprise to me! The medals now reside in a box frame on my office wall. I'm actually quite proud that my grandfather contributed to the war effort for nearly 10 years of his life serving in Iceland, Norway & Austria.
George Alexander Lever Frizzell
Austria 1945



No comments:

Post a Comment